We must learn the rules before we can play the game. The most important steps always require precision.
Admission Policy 2016/2017
The International School of Monza serves a diverse community of students from a range of nationalities, cultures and backgrounds. We offer a broad based education which uses English as the main language of learning and caters for a range of student abilities.
The IS Monza has adopted a set of core values that guide every feature of our educational provision and the school is explicitly committed to full implementation of the Primary Years Programme and the Middle Years.
Admissions Policy and Procedure
Our admissions policy is articulated to encourage the maintenance of diversity in our student body, as well as to ensure that students who are admitted to IS Monza can benefit from our educational provision and be successful in the terms of our structured objectives for learning. We recognize that a number of students are less likely to benefit from our model of education. Our policy and procedures are designed to identify these students in order to help parents and the school make the best choices in line with the individual needs of these students.
The International School of Monza also operates a policy on maximum class sizes. Our policy provides a clear set of criteria which are used to make decisions when the number of applications exceeds the places available.
- Contact admissions office to fix appointment with the school management.
- Submit school reports from the last two years and results of any special learning or psychological assessments.
- Meet with management to discuss programs and visit campus.
- Arrange with school a trial day for the student to be assess on their English level (if unable to visit school, assessment can be sent to current school for completion).
- Previous school to submit confidential reference (proforma or letter) (where appropriate).
- Decision on admission by the school management.
- Invitation to enroll* or placed on waiting list.
*see “Enrolment Procedure”
- If places are available, students who fulfill our admissions criteria may be admitted at any time during the academic year at the discretion of the Principal.
- Families of students seeking admission to IS Monza should contact the school to arrange an appointment with the Principal of the relevant section. The purpose of this meeting is for parents to become informed about the school (its core values and its educational programme) and for the school to evaluate the application. Ideally, the student should also attend this meeting or arrange a follow-up interview at a future date. Meeting the student is an important part of the admission procedure. Parents should bring to this meeting the documentation listed below.
- In some cases, the school may carry out a formal assessment of the student in order to determine grade placement or to decide on appropriate learning or behavioral support. The school may also require further educational or psychological evaluations if there is felt to be a need for further information to support individual students. If individual support is deemed to be necessary, then specific arrangements will be negotiated with the family who may be required to wholly or partially fund the extra provision that is needed for their son/daughter.
- Once an offer of a place is made, it is confirmed at the moment the student’s family signs the official registration form and the school accepts payment for the registration fee and/or tuition fees. At this moment parents should be particularly aware of the commitments they are making towards the school.
- The IS Monza application form*.
- Copies of the student’s school reports for the previous two years*.
- Reports of the results of any special academic or psychological assessments*.
- A confidential reference faxed or emailed from the child’s current school**.
- Copy of the Visa to live in Italy**.
- Copy of the birth certificate**.
- Copy of the student’s Vaccination Record**.
- Copy of student and parents’ Fiscal Code**.
*At the time of the first meeting **Prior to the enrolment.
Admission to IS Monza is open to all students likely to benefit from ISM’s educational programme and to families who understand and commit to the core values of the school.
Priority is given to the following categories in assessing applications:
- Siblings of current IS Monza students.
- Children of ex-IS Monza students.
- Applicants from the international community.
- Applicants who have English as a first language.
International students transferring to Italy will be admitted regardless of their ability in English up to grade 10 and EAL provision will be made available by the school (only for the first 2 years of attendance). Exceptions to this open admission policy are students with identified learning or behavioral issues where additional support may be necessary on an individual basis. Italian national and other students transferring from Italian schools will be expected to have a satisfactory level of English or the family may be expected to fund appropriate individual support at additional expense.
Support for Individual Needs
We are able to provide a limited level of support for students with mild to moderate learning difficulties. We require that parents inform us of any previously identified special needs or previously received support at the time of application. In some cases, parents may be asked to commit to providing extra support for their child, which may take the form of in-class support or out of school provision.
Criteria for Placement in a Grade
We usually place students in the grade appropriate to their age, seeking to differentiate for their individual needs within this context. However, transfer from another school system may also take into consideration previous educational records. For instance, students transferring from another international or English-medium school who have effectively satisfied the criteria for grade promotion in their previous school will be admitted for the subsequent grade applicable at IS Monza.
Internal assessment using IS Monza grade level standards may be used to help reach decisions that in all cases aim to be in the best interests of each student.
Motives for Denying Admission
Admission is at the discretion of the school and may be denied for many reasons, from the impossibility to find a place due to full enrollment or an evaluation that IS Monza cannot cater for the student’s individual learning or behavioral needs. In general, admission will also be automatically denied in the following cases:
- the student has been expelled from their previous school.
- the student will not be living with his or her immediate family.
- the student does not already have a visa to live in Italy.
Advice and Information for Parents Following Admission
Parents who join the ISM community are expected to commit to the following:
- The IS Monza Core Values.
- Their contractual obligations indicated in the registration form.
- Learning about our educational provision and the implications of our IB Primary and Middle programs (through the IS Monza and IBO websites and by attending the workshops we organize in school).
- Learning about how to support students whose mother tongue is not English by providing continuing opportunities for them to develop and express themselves in their mother tongue (by consulting our Mother Tongue Coordinator and attending any workshops that we organize in this area).
- Aim to become sufficiently proficient in English so as to communicate with IS Monza and participate in the education of their son or daughter (language course may be organized on request, both individual or collective courses).
- Become active and supportive members of the IS Monza community (through constructive involvement in the l life and goals of school and through engaging in PAB or other parent activities).
The enrolment procedures include the signature of the enrolment contract, accompanying letter and personal data form together with payment - by non-transferable banker's cheque made out to I.S.E. S.r.l., money transfer*, ATM card or credit card - of the New Student Admission Fee (if applicable), the Registration Fee and an advance payment of 25% on the Annuale Tuition Fee and any supplementary services requested (e.g. the school lunches).
In case enrolements are done after the beginning of the school year, payment required will be:
- *before 1st December: New Student Admission fee + Registration fee + 75% of the Anual tuition fee and any supplementary service requested.
- *after 1st December: New Student Admission fee + Registration fee + 100% of the Annual tuition fee and any supplementary service requested.
Enrolments may be made at our offices (for appointment call +39 039 935771 or contact via mail at firstname.lastname@example.org) or "online" on our website http://www.iseecommerce.com/ using a login and password which will be created during the user registration phase on our website.
Please remember that, if the entire amount of a student's school fees are paid by a company (not by free-lance professionals), the "COMPANY FEE" indicated in the price list is to be applied, enrolment may not be made "online" and payment must be made only by money transfer. A confirmation from the company, that they will be in charge of the fees (lunch included or not) should be sent to email@example.com